Our body needs a certain amount of fat to function properly. The fat that body needs exists in omega-3. Omega-3 fatty acids, often touted for their health benefits, are a type of fat that can be found in certain foods and supplements.
Before delving into the benefits and side effects of Omega 3 supplements, it is important to know what omega 3 fatty acid is. They are essential nutrients that are found in certain foods, such as fish oil, nuts, and seeds. They are necessary to keep our bodies healthy and fit. They are a good source of energy and ensure that the key organs of our body like the heart, lungs, kidneys, blood vessels, etc., are healthy and working properly. EPA and DHA are two important Omega-3 fatty acids present in certain fish. Plant sources such as seeds and nuts mainly contain ALA.
Health benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids
- Reduces Asthmatic attacks in children - Severe Asthma attacks are commonly seen in many children. The problem is aggravated due to rising pollution levels, among other factors. It is a chronic lung disease wherein the patient suffers from wheezing and shortness of breath. It also causes swelling and inflammation in the lungs. Omega-3 supplements are known to reduce the risk of Asthma in children and youngsters.
- Reduces fat deposition in the Liver – All liver problems are not caused due to the consumption of alcohol. Results from a clinical study showed that Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is quite common among people. This is especially true in the case of those who are obese or overweight. Diet supplements containing Omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation and accumulation of fat in the liver.
- Reduces the risk of Heart disease- It is an undeniable fact that a large number of people in the world die of heart disease or stroke. Scientists carried out various studies that showed that people who consumed fish more often had a low rate of heart disease than those who did not eat fish. This was later established that Omega-3 fatty acids present in certain fish helped reduce the chances of heart diseases. This happens because omega-3 supplements increase the good cholesterol levels in our body.
- Promotes Brain Health early childhood – Our brain contains 40% of DHA while 60% of DHA is found in the retina of our eyes. This is an obvious reason why Omega-3 is essential for proper brain development in infants. Results from clinical studies conducted by experts prove this fact without a doubt. It has been observed that infants fed with DHA-fortified formula milk have better eyesight than others.
- Health benefits during pregnancy – Pregnant women are prescribed Omega-3 supplements to ensure that there is no problem with the development of the child. Omega-3 reduces the chances of Autism, Cerebral Palsy, and ADHD in children. Such children show higher intelligence and tend to have fewer behavioural problems.
- Reduces the symptoms of Depression and Anxiety – The hectic and stressful life that most of us lead to results in many lifestyle diseases, including depression and anxiety. A person suffering from depression is generally unhappy and lethargic. Consumption of Omega-3 vitamins and supplements reduces these symptoms to a great extent.
- Improves Eye Health- As DHA is the major component of the retina, it is important to include Omega-3 supplements in your diet. It enhances vision and reduces the risk of macular degeneration that may lead to permanent blindness.
- Fights Autoimmune diseases – Autoimmune diseases can be very dangerous for our health as our immune cells start attacking healthy cells. The most common example of such a disease is Type-1 Diabetes. Here, the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas are mistakenly attacked by the immune cells. Omega-3 supplements taken during early childhood reduce the risk of such diseases.
- Helps fight Cancer – Cancer is one of the most dreaded diseases and the leading cause of death in the world. Clinical studies show that omega-3 supplements reduce the risk of certain kinds of cancer. It is especially effective in reducing the risk of Prostate cancer in men and breast cancer in women.
- Good for Bones and Joints – We need strong bones and joints to carry out our day-to-day chores with ease. Omega-3 supplements boost bone strength and reduce the risk of Arthritis and Osteoporosis.
- Alleviate Menstrual Pain in women – Some women suffer from pain in the abdomen and lower back during menstruation. This can be very irritating and affects your daily schedule as your work is affected. Studies show that women who include omega-3 supplements in their diet have milder symptoms and can carry out normal chores without any problem.
- Fights Age-related problems – As we grow older, our body starts showing signs of aging. Besides common ailments like joint pain, declining eyesight, etc., brain functioning also deteriorates in some cases. Some people suffer from Alzheimer’s disease. Taking Omega-3 fish oil helps reduce the chances of such problems related to the brain.
Side-effects of Omega-3 fish oil
Although Omega-3 is good for your health and immunity, it should be taken as per your doctor's recommendation. Generally, about 3 grams of fish oil is considered safe for consumption, but this may vary from person to person. It may cause certain side effects if taken in excess. Some of the major side-effects are:
- Stomach upset
- A distinct fishy taste in the mouth
- Foul breath
Omega-3 fatty acids are one of the most beneficial nutrients that our body needs. They help in the proper functioning of almost every system in the body and keep us healthy and fit. The best source of Omega-3 is fish, however, it is not very common to eat fish every day. In such cases, fish oil supplements come to the rescue.
As our body cannot produce omega-3 fatty acids, it becomes all the more essential to take premium quality supplements marketed by reputed brands like BBetter. Omega-3 is essential for our body and it can be consumed in the form of supplements as well. It is a good idea to include it in your diet as it is beneficial for your health in many ways.