Ever heard people boasting about having “paper thin skin”? Sure, that might help one flaunt his or her abs, but that doesn't mean it is a good thing. “Paper thin Skin” is usually the result of a lack of collagen. So all the thick skinned ones out there, don’t feel bad because you would still be looking like you are in your twenties, when you are actually in your fifties. Have goals by giving health a major priority rather than aesthetics.
What is Collagen?
Collagen is basically a protein found in your body. It is really the most abundant [protein found in mammals. Collagen takes up to 25% to 35%of the whole body protein count. It is mainly found in the connective tissues of the body. Amino acids bound together form collagen, which is present in your bones, cartilage, ligaments, tendons and skin.
Collagen takes up different qualities like being rigid in the bones, being compliant in a tendon, or even rigid to compliant in a cartilage, this depends on the degree of mineralization.
What is the importance of Collagen?
Collagen is basically your best friend in the aging process. The responsibilities of collagen include maintaining healthy joints and elasticity of the skin. The existing collagen breaks down as you age.
Everything Collagen does for you:
Aging makes your bones prone to easily breaking as a result of losing its density and also takes longer to heal than at a young age. Collagen helps slow down the aging process that makes your bones weaker and hence make your bones denser.
With a good amount of collagen in your body, your skin will refuse to be rigid and dehydrated. It might also lessen the wrinkles caused on dry skin by keeping it beautifully hydrated.
Aging doesn’t make anyone happy and one of its effects is the thinning of hair. We bet Rupunzal didn’t have this issue because of the good amount of collagen protecting them. One can observe a significant amount of improvement in the volume, scalp coverage and quality of hair with just a little help from Collagen.
If you are one of those people who find their nails to be broken down pretty easily and never understand Cardi- B’s long nails secret? Well, those nails might be fake but it is possible to maintain faster nail growth and less broken or chipped nails. Nope, we are not talking about expensive manicures but just the right dosage of collagen instead.
Osteoporosis, heavy word right? Don’t worry, Collagen understands it just right. Collagen holds a reputation of helping people with Knee Osteoporosis to mildly relieve the pain and hence improve the function of the joint.
Of course, for this you cannot depend on collagen alone, but if it is combined with the right strength training your body can be helped increase muscle mass and strength.
Glycine, Glutamine and arginine are the main amino acids that make up collagen, these help maintain a healthy metabolism. Your central nervous system stays healthy with collagen, what else do you need for that vitality to run though your system right?
Collagen can be a major help for people constantly suffering from a leaky gut or bowel diseases. We think this far you know that flexibility is the talent collagen is famous for, this is how it helps you reduce inflammation and protect the very delicate lining of your intestines. Collagen will make sure you aren’t constipated in your gut and your word on that date, or feel bloated on that important morning presentation.
The important role of Collagen in weight loss.Here we come to the weight watcher’s favorite topic.
Collagen being a protein might increase the feeling of satiety. In some cases this could help the weight loss or management process by reducing the feeling of excess hunger. Also as collagen ensures the strength of your bones and muscle mass as well, it might clear a healthier path to lose body fat by securing the bones and muscles, so that they don’t confuse your weighing machine. You want to focus on fat loss not just weight loss as that includes your bones, organs and muscles.
The sources of Collagen.
Bioavailable forms of collagen can be used by the body right away, this is why food should always come as the first source of nutrients.
Here are a few sources of Collagen:
- Bone Broth, might sound disgusting but it understands the assignment right- Literally made of bones and tissues it consists of nutrients like calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, collagen, amino acids and many others.
- The most chosen white meat- Chicken neck and cartilage are used as a source of collagen for the treatment of arthritis.
- For the ones who belong to the beach- Fish and shellfish have bones and ligaments that could be a great source of collagen.
- The gym goers got it right- Egg whites (or the only edible part of the egg for a few picky eaters) Egg white contains large amounts of an amino acid called proline which is needed for collagen production.
- Vitamin C does a lot for you than just build immunity- Citrus fruits are important in the production of pro-collagen that is an antecedent to collagen.
- Guava better qualify on the list of your favorite fruits- Guava is yet another co-factor for Collagen Production.
- This makes your breads better and Collagen stronger- Garlic, out of its many benefits,plays a major role in synthesizing and preventing the breakdown of collagen.
- Don't be mean, have your greens- The greens you very slyly ignore, are actually rich in chlorophyll. Recent studies have suggested that consuming chlorophyll is yet another antecedent to collagen in the skin.
- This can make a sandwich boring but your skin gets glowing- Tomatoes actually provide 30% of collagen.
The side-effects of Collagen.
Collagen has a richer history in its pros than the cons, but we want to keep you fully informed.
So here go the few side effects of collagen:
- Potential digestive side effects.
- Feeling full without nourishing completely.
- Might trigger allergic individuals.
- Not the best choice when on a date (leaves bad taste in the mouth)
The difference in the benefits of Fish collagen and Bovine collagen.
It is in the end just Collagen right? Though what matters is from which source have both of these been derived? Fish collagen very naturally comes from Marine sources. While the Bovine collagen is derived from cows. Bovine collagen is specifically created from cow hides. Marine Collagen consists of fish skin and scales. Also Marine collagen is at times considered to be better as it is one of the most easily absorbed sources.
What is the recommended dosage of Collagen?
The increasing popularity of collagen is evident in its results. The suggested range of dosage is from 2.5 to 10 grams per day. Though some makers suggest up to 30 grams per day. It's always better to consult with your physician first.
Not to brag but our BBETTER Collagen Marino is quite the bestseller. We understand its anti-aging properties and offer it in a powder form. We only want to offer the best, and now that you have educated yourself on Collagen this far, you know why marine collagen should be the best available option.
You beautiful souls deserve to be young and glowing at any age. Here’s to embracing Collagen and all its love for our bodies!